Sign in / Join
1589

OERC announces hike in power tariff in Odisha

The order said coal cost has increased by Rs 400 per metric tonne and GRIDCO has also passed on Rs 154.40 crore as power purchase dues of NTPC. (PTI)

Power consumers in the state will have to pay more from April 1 as the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) today announced a hike in power tariff by 1.44 per cent. There was no rise in tariff for beneficiaries of Kutir Jyoti, domestic consumer having consumption of up to 50 units and power used for agricultural activities, the tariff order for 2017-18 said terming it as pro-poor, pro-rural and pro-agriculture. There was a marginal rise of 10 paise per unit for most retail consumers, Director of regulatory affairs of OERC, Priyabrat Patnaik said.

Average tariff for domestic consumption of 50 units would Rs 2.50, for 100 units the price would be Rs 3.40, for 200 units the tariff would be Rs 3.85, for 300 units it would be Rs 4.33, for 400 units the tariff would be Rs 4.58 and for 500 units, the rate would be Rs 4.80, the order said.

Justifying the tariff hike, the order said coal cost has increased by Rs 400 per metric tonne and GRIDCO has also passed on Rs 154.40 crore as power purchase dues of NTPC.

The TTPS has also increased power cost from Rs 373.59 crore to Rs 426.93 crore, the order said.

You May Also Want To Watch:

Therefore, the GRIDCO power purchase cost has increased by 17 paise per unit. This apart there was a gradual decrease in the production of cheap hydro power in the state.

The Commission has introduced a special rebate of one per cent over and above the normal rebate to the LT category of consumers who pay through digital mode, thereby promoting cashless transaction.

Rural LT domestic consumers would get a 5 paise per unit rebate in addition to the existing prompt payment rebate who draw their power through correct meters and pay bills on time.

The tariff for hostels of educational institutes using single meters would be calculated by considering 15 per cent of the total consumption as domestic and remaining 85 per cent as commercial tariff, the order said.